RJ had a dentist appointment yesterday morning. He did quite well actually. It was I who had a moment of panic when they calmly informed me that they were taking him back without me! What the!?!?!? Seriously, the kid is only three. I had, of course, been prepping him all week about the visit. He knew the purpose of the visit and what would happen. He knows if something is gonna hurt I will warn him ahead of time. Apparently I should have been prepping myself!
Listen, I knew this day would come. But really? At three-years-old? Should he be going off into some Dr./DDS office without a parent? What made it worse was they also calmly informed me that they recalled he had been upset by the last visit and was less then cooperative... Um. Am I the only one that thinks its perfectly normal for a two or three-year-old child to be upset or nervous about doctor and dentist visits?
Heck, I am an adult and the dentist STILL makes ME nervous! I just realize it's not PC for me to jump up and down, whine, and verbalize what I really think of my dentist while he is putting a shot in my gum line!
Instead of jumping up and down and whining (as I wanted to do!) I played the cool and unperturbed mom. I calmly nodded my head in understanding and watched as RJ obediently walked back behind closed doors with a stranger.
I did not even let RJ out of my site when he was born. Well, except for all the time I was under anesthesia and completely incapacitated :), but I had in place a contingency plan where either I, Daddy, or MeMa was with RJ at ALL times from the minute he was born. Seriously, if you think I am going to let you take MY newborn and run off into another room with him you are sadly mistaken!
I may not be a clingy type of mom, but you can bet your bottom dollars I am a protective type of mom! I don't like this dentist set-up one bit. Not one bit.
On another note, no cavities and they even were able to take x-rays. We saw his mature teeth growing very nicely. They once again reminded me that the enamel on his last molars is not adequate and he will get a cavity on those teeth eventually no matter what we do. But, they are baby teeth and hopefully his adult teeth were exposed to adequate nutrition and will have their normal amount of enamel! So, despite my trepidation at being separated from my son everything went very well!



No comments:
Post a Comment