one of the few things I have dreaded.
Yes, as a mom I have random fears concerning my son. Some of them are really serious and some of them are silly of course. One such fear has involved RJ falling off the bed. He's four and has never fallen off the bed. Not even close, but every kid does it and so I have been waiting with bated breath for the dreaded fall. Knowing it would probably happen some day I have prayed that he would not break anything when it did :)
Well, last night, it happened. RJ was in my bed. (I know, I know.) I had just become comfortable and started to doze off when he rolled over (he's a big mover while sleeping!) and rolled right off the edge of the bed. (Seriously, if I wasn't his mother and concerned about him it would have been funny!) As it was, I heard a thump on the night stand on his way down and just knew my fear had materialized. (Not only did I fear the fall, but also him hitting the night stand with his head.) I immediately popped up (big belly and all) and scooted over to the side of the bed to rescue him and assess the horrible damage. He cried out and I scooped him up into the bed all ready to discover his boo-boos and soothe him. But, apparently the only thing that was disturbed was his sleep as he immediately stopped fussing and snuggled back into bed and off to sleep.
It was all over in a minute. The fall, the thump, the soothing, the return to sleep. As he lay breathing heavily next to me, I lay awake, wide eyed, heart thumping wildly. He had finally fallen out of bed and was no worse for the wear. I, on the other hand, was still recovering from the fright. But, I have finally faced a mommy right of passage and have come through.



No comments:
Post a Comment