Monday, April 4, 2011

ISR

Today was R.J.'s first day at ISR!

It began with my normally placid, cooperative child absolutely refusing to put on his swim pants. He KNEW that if he wore the swim pants he would certainly be required to go in to the pool. He was right. He actually had to be disciplined for disobedience and there were many tears and demands (and that was just from me!). After 10 minutes of discussion, persuasion, and some unpleasant toddler wrestling, RJ was finally ensconced in his new swim pants. He had to learn that Mommy is in charge and certain things will happen wether you want to do it or not. I had to continually reiterate that sometimes we have to do something we don't want to do because it is good for us (ie; work, exercise, vegetables, marriage...) Anyhow, I quickly scooped up the ankle-biter into the car and off we went. On the long drive to the down town (GHETTO) municipal pool area, via a very crowded and fast highway loaded with RUDE drivers, RJ continued to inform me that he just wanted to watch. While I tried to safely navigate this crazy town of drivers I was also trying to comfort RJ with the knowledge that the trip to (and in) the pool would be short and easy. He was unconvinced.

Upon arrival the crumb-catcher climbed into my arms and attached himself to my hip like a barnacle. When we entered the pool area, he began a litany of denials and demands, punctuated with the assertions that he only wanted to watch. I, being the great mother I am, drew him inexorably toward the pools edge and handed him into the arms of the instructor. He then clawed his way into her neck and exclaimed that he was DONE! For ten minutes she patiently taught him a skill while he continued to cry and demand to be let out of the pool. I watched bemusedly from the sideline and chatted with other, more experienced ISR moms who were patiently waiting for their turn. When he was done, I cuddled him in a towel and we talked about his accomplishments.

The minute he was out of the pool he quit crying and started talking. He told me everything he had done and that he does not like the pool. Thus began a day of boasting and rehashing of every minute of his lesson! He told Aunt Beebers. He told Daddy. He told me, over and over again. He proudly proclaimed his success and reiterated that he only wanted to watch from now on :)

One day down...7 weeks to go!

(infantswim.com)

No comments:

My Husband ROCKS!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

The Future Hall of Fame QB is...

The Crumb Catcher is...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers