Sunday, November 4, 2012

Physical Therapy...

Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy.
This is a relatively new field and a fascinating one!

Had my initial consultation and it was eye opening.
See, this is not my first ro-day-o, if you know what I mean.
I have a bit of PT experience under by bad legs belt!!!
This was, however, the first PT experience where I had a vaginal exam.
Yep. You read me right.
It was like going to the GYN, only without the stir-ups and the GYN.

TMI? I think not. How many men are sitting around reading blogs?
Exactly.
Women - Mommies! - need to know this stuff!

So what did I learn from this PT appointment?
So glad you asked!

They have this bone/muscle model that shows your pelvis and all your pelvic muscles.
You can clearly see where everything is and how everything is related.
It was also crystal clear how having a baby can effect these muscles which wrap all the way back around to your tale bone. Additionally, they support all your important women parts and your bladder. Women know we have these muscles, we just dont know what to do with them or how to control them. We assume they are just doing their jobs {or not}.

With the exam, the PT was able to gauge my overall muscle tone, ability to hold and manage the bladder and uterus, and find trigger points that aggravate the muscles.
When I left I had done no exercising, but my butt and tail bone were hurting from her examining these pressure points.
Im a believer.

While it is normal for the body to take SEVERAL MONTHS to recover from childbirth in this region, most women {including myself} do not take the time to allow our bodies this natural process and we actually hurt ourselves. She told me she was glad I had not returned to my workout routine or had been doing Kegels.
Yep, you read that right. My PT has said NO exercise for me until these muscles have healed. I thought if I returned to exercising { and the sooner the better } that it would actually help my recovery in this region by toning these overstretched muscles.
O contraire!

Instead, I am to look at this as a muscle strain, possible injury. They will guide me in appropriate exercise and stretching to help the pelvic floor muscles heal and strengthen with hopefully NO long term side effects from having my large headed, off kilter baby!

Lets be honest here. 
How many women do you know - or is it you? - who cannot do jumping jacks, run, or other high impact activities without leaking? How many women do you know who have problems with "knowing" their husband post babies? I have already had about 7 friends who have requested a reference for my PT! This PT group is all women and this is what their focus is, their specialty. They do not do any other type of PT and they are PACKED! Seriously, getting an appointment is a nightmare. They are pioneers in this field and are the only ones in this valley who offer this focused PT.

I say its about time and good for them!
Having experience, I KNOW what PT can do to aid in recovery.
I am so excited to learn more about my body and how I can take care of it in such an important region to me and, yes, my family.

1 comment:

Ana said...

Happy Thanksgiving Summer!

Love you!
Ana

My Husband ROCKS!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

The Future Hall of Fame QB is...

The Crumb Catcher is...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers