This is the story of our first gingerbread house!
We have absolutely no experience with these contraptions.
I purchased the gingerbread house from our co-op, Bountiful Baskets.
(An awesome co-op that runs in many states if your looking for healthy and inexpensive produce!) It came in pieces, with some meringue, a piping bag, and instructions. I scratched my head as I gazed at these items because I couldn't figure out how I was supposed to end up with a snow covered, Disney quality, edible cottage with the items I had been given. But, I was bound and determined to do this project with RJ! So the icing ingredients were purchased and whipped up. I began the process by messing up the icing recipe. In desperation, I tried to 'fix' the recipe by essentially doubling it. It was a rather sad beginning to our experiment, but I soldiered on! Once I believed my icing to be dry and sticky enough I enlisted a reluctant (and mouthy) Daddy to help me build the darn thing. As we began to erect our first gingerbread house we had to fight to keep RJ away. He was underfoot and grabbing everything in a bid to help. Still, after our 24 hour setting period I thought our cottage turned out quite well despite all the drama! We were rather proud of ourselves!
That is all the sticky icing that tastes terrible.
I strategically placed it to look like snow had fallen onto and off of the roof.
(Hey! It was my first time. Be kind.)
The next day, or the next next day, not sure which, we headed off to get some yummy icing from Walmart to decorate our cottage with. I had decided to skip the homemade Mommy icing and head straight for the cake decorating isle. There we found inexpensive cake icing specially made for decorating. Who knew? I had been told by an experienced friend NOT to use regular icing as our candies would possibly slide off the house. So, in order to divert a disaster, we played it safe and skipped the baking isle.
I set up a few bowls and jars of candies and yummy ingredients and sat RJ down to begin his masterpiece. I thought he would have a blast going to town with candy and all sorts of off-limit goodies normally reserved for treats!
At this point, I stepped away to get something in my bedroom. When I returned I found RJ munching a mouthful of... I could only guess what. So I asked what he was eating...
I am sure you already know the answer too :)
RJ had taken it upon himself to test several ingredients to make sure the house tasted as good as it looked.
Viola! The back of our finished project!
(RJ had picked out blue & red icing for the house, thus the river in the backyard.)
The front. With afore mentioned tasting areas.





No comments:
Post a Comment