My husband is clueless. I'm not sure whether I want to laugh insanely or strangle him to death. I should preface this post by pointing out that I have been a little bit irritable this week. I should also point out that it has been my two boys who have been irritating me.
So, all men are clueless when it comes to women. I get it. BUT, after eleven plus years of marriage you would think he has learned a thing or two about me. One very obvious thing about me is my love language. Obvious because I have made it obvious in oh so many ways. I will state my love language here in this post and all the women who read it will remember. Yet, my husband continues to wander around this relationship aimlessly. So, for the record, my particular love language is 'acts of service'. (If you don't know what I am talking about then read "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman. You can also look it up online at http://www.5lovelanguages.com) On to the story.
Tonight, I was busy getting things done and lost track of time. Rj was hanging out with Daddy in the play room. When RJ came to find me and asked for something to eat, I immediately stopped what I was doing and headed to the kitchen. Cuz I'm a mom. Thats what moms do. (do I really need to point out that Daddy was still laying there in the playroom? Doing nothing?) I happened to glance at the clock and gasped in astonishment. It was WAY past Rj's bedtime! Oops. I glanced (maybe through narrowed, suspicious eyes) at Daddy and mentioned that it was WAY past Rj's bedtime (hoping in vain that he would get the clue). No luck. Daddy merely shrugged and mumbled some reply.
I poured a bowl of cereal on request from Rj and poured myself a cup of English Breakfast tea with agave syrup. We sat at the dining table while he ate. By the time Rj finished his meal, my tea had just begun to cool. I took a few healing, soothing sips and then longingly put my cup up on the kitchen counter and herded Rj towards the bathroom. Time for the routine to begin and a hot cup of tea had no place in it.
Honestly, I rarely get the opportunity to actually sit and sip a cup of tea, but a mom can dream can't she? In bad form, I grumbled to myself that my tea would be cold long before I returned for it and glared at Daddy for his lack of help. Off we went to brush Rj's teeth and begin our bedtime rituals. After depositing toys and blanket that had to come to bed with Rj we turned to head back to the bathroom. I saw Daddy coming down the hall with my tea and had a brief moment of joy at the thought that he was going to give me my tea and take over bedtime with Rj! What a man! The angels began to sing and my heart began to flutter that pitter-patter of every love sick women who sees the man of her dreams.
Unfortunately, my dream (and pitter-patter) was interrupted by the prosaic reality of Daddy handing me my steaming hot cup of tea, saying, "Here honey, go ahead and drink this.",then abruptly turning around and walking off.
I smiled sadly and set my cup of tea on the bathroom counter, far away from the three-year-old.
Thanks Daddy. That was very thoughtful of you to bring me a steaming hot cup of tea to handle around my three-year-old during our bedtime routine.
In case your wondering where Daddy was headed, he went back to our room, snuggled up in bed and began watching a movie.
Seriously, scream or cry. It's a toss up right now.



No comments:
Post a Comment